TIt is a new year and you know what that means, The Big Game is right around the corner. Watch parties are going to look a bit different this year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all the food you love during the big game (or the commercials if those are more your speed). That’s why BABE Wine and your favorite Thai mom and cookbook author, Pepper Teigen, have come together to prove that the fun, bubbly wine in a can goes with just about anything as you put together your Big Game menus. From nachos and cheesy fries, to pigs in a blanket and buffalo chicken dip, BABE is the perfect addition to any occasion.
As any foodie knows, planning is a MUST when it comes to The Big Game eats. This year, Mama Teigen will be serving up an original Crispy Chicken Wings recipe to pair with a BABE Red exclusively from her highly anticipated book, The Pepper Thai Cookbook: Family Recipes from Everyone’s Favorite Thai Mom. Babes, food bon vivants and Pepper fans can preorder the cookbook, which includes the Crispy Chicken Wings recipe along with even more dishes to pair with your favorite BABE, here.
“I love introducing Thai flavors to everyone through my food – my recipes are so simple to make, delicious and fun!” says Pepper Teigen. “To me, BABE is the exact same way and pairs well with so many dishes, including my Crispy Chicken Wings.”
As the Official Wine Sponsor of the NFL, BABE challenges you to show what foods you like to pair with your favorite BABE can(s) Rosé, Grigio, or Red – for a chance to be one of ten lucky winners of an ultimate Big Game feast, a full supply of BABE and bragging rights (you go Glenn Coco!). From now until January 31st, anyone (21+ obvi) can enter the sweepstakes by sharing a photo of their favorite BABE food pairings, tagging @drinkbabe, and using #BabeWinePairings & #sweepstakes.
In addition to Pepper’s own food pairing, BABE Wine is teaming up with a few of our fave foodies Jeremy Jacobwitz (@jeremyjacobwitz) and Cheat Day Eats (@cheatdayeats) to let you know of local NYC restaurants where you can order BABE. BABE is available for purchase in NYC at Paulie Gee’s Slice Shop, Pies and Thighs, GST Tavern, and Route 66 – all of which serve some of the most delish bites around the city that pair perfectly with any of our cans. Can’t make it there? No worries – BABE is available for delivery alongside your food order, too. And for the grand finale, BABE is partnering with Cheese By The Numbers (@cheesebythenumbers) to bring you three different game day boards; think brunch, happy hour and late night… each paired with a can of BABE. Be sure to peep their Instagram account for inspiration as you work on your own BABE Food Pairings and Big Game menus.
“For me, the Big Game is all about the snacks. With a cold and refreshing can of BABE, wine can finally be paired with sausage balls, queso and the likes,” says BABE’s General Manager Chelsea Phillips. “With some help from Pepper Teigen, a sweepstakes leading up to the Big Game and some of our foodie friends, we hope to ignite some BABE Food Pairing inspiration for your own at-home watch parties. We can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with… I’m already hungry!”
*Visit https://drinkbabe.net/pages/babe-wine-pairings-rules for official contest rules.
Crispy Chicken Wings
Serves 4 to 6:
3 pounds chicken wings, patted dry
Vegetable oil, for deep-fry
¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons fish sauce
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca flour
½ tablespoon ground white pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Thai sweet chili sauce or Spicy Garlic-Lime Fish
● Put the chicken wings in a large bowl. Add the fish sauce, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes).
● Meanwhile, fill a wok, large heavy pot, or deep skillet with at least 2 inches of oil, making sure to leave a few inches of clearance from the rim. Heat the oil over medium heat to 370 F (use a deep-fry thermometer or test the oil by throwing in a little piece of bread or a grain of rice; if it sizzles immediately but doesn’t burn, you’re ready). Set a wire rack in a sheet pan or line a plate with paper towels and have it nearby.
● While the oil is heating, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Sprinkle the mixture over the wings and toss until a paste forms, making sure all the wings are evenly coated.
● When the oil is hot, add 4 or 5 wings to the pan and fry until they’re a deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. The color of the crust will tell you when they’re cooked, so keep an eye on the wings and adjust the heat as needed as you’re frying.
● Drain the wings on the wire rack or paper towels and fry the next batch. Serve warm with sweet chili sauce or, if you like it hot, try the spicy fish sauce.