With fall upon us, it’s time to start enjoying bourbon! This season Knob Creek Bourbon has partnered with three of the country’s top mixologists to create unique spins on the classic Old Fashioned cocktail using the four core ingredients – bourbon, ice, sugar and bitters.
The Knob Creek Torched Citrus Old Fashioned, created by Austin’s Jeff Hammett uses Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon, torched citrus rinds and a touch of clove to create a tart and spicy twist on the Old Fashioned. Combining the traditional flavors of simple syrup, bitters and bourbon, the cocktail is topped with soda water, making it pop with each sip you take.
If you’re still craving some of the flavors of summer as you transition into fall, look no further than the Knob Creek Liberty Old Fashioned, created by Philadelphia’s Maria Polise. This unique twist on the Old Fashioned combines the tart flavors of Carpano Antica and bitters, mixed with refreshing mint and sweet strawberries, creating the perfect sweet and tart combination.
Finally, the Sarsaparilla Old Fashioned, created by Dallas’ own Eddie Eakin mixes the spicy flavors of Knob Creek Rye with Sarsaparilla, a traditional flavor originally used in Texas and the American West during the 1950s, to create a truly one-of-a-kind Old Fashioned. Vanilla and honey add the sweetness to the cocktail that is truly in a league of its own.
Torched Citrus Old Fashioned
Recipe by Jeff Hammett | Austin, TX
-2 parts Knob Creek® Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon
-5 dashes Angostura Bitters
-1 1/2 parts Soda Water
-1 part Simple syrup with a touch of clove
-Torched orange and lemon rinds
1. Torch orange and lemon rinds.
2. In a shaker, muddle the rinds with simply syrup, Angostura® bitters, and Knob Creek® Single
Barrel Reserve Bourbon.
3. Add ice and stir.
3. Pour over ice into an Old Fashioned glass and top with soda water.
Liberty Old Fashioned
Recipe by Maria Polise | Philadelphia, PA
-1 1/2 part Knob Creek® Bourbon
-3/4 part Amaro Averna
-3/4 part Carpano Antica
-2 dashes Bitterman’s Xoxolatl Mole™ Bitters
-1 barspoon of Simple Syrup
-1 Strawberry, sliced
-1 Sprig Mint
1. Combine the strawberry and simply syrup in an Old Fashioned glass and muddle.
2. Add the Knob Creek® Bourbon, Amara Averna, Carpano Antica and Bitters with ice to the glass and stir until diluted.
3. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Sarsaparilla Old Fashioned
Recipe by Eddie Eakin |Dallas, TX
– 2 parts Knob Creek® Rye
– 1/4 part Honey Syrup (1:1 honey and water)
– 1/2 part Root Beer Liqueur
– 2 dashes Sarsaparilla Dry Bitters
– 1 dash Vanilla Bitters
1. Combine Knob Creek® Rye, Honey Syrup, Root Beer Liqueur, Sarsaparilla Dry Bitters and Vanilla Bitters in a mixing glass.
2. Add cracked ice and stir for 40 revolutions.
3. Strain over ice in a rocks glass.
4. Garnish with 1 whole star anise pod and a brandied cherry.