This month marks the anniversary of the death of one of the greatest legends in rock music – Elvis Presley – who had an undeniable impact on the Americana.
Although he’s been gone for over thirty years, Elvis is still known as The King of Rock n’ Roll, and to celebrate his passionate career, LA mixologist Damian Windsor to create a cocktail-style shot that combines the sweet and salty flavors mixed with the trademark spicy finish of Basil Hayden’s Bourbon. Damian’s creation was inspired by Elvis’ favorite foods – banana and peanut butter – and the growing trend to create bourbon cocktail-style shots using savory ingredients.
So this August, be sure to honor Elvis and the impact he had on American pop culture by toasting him with the Basil Hayden’s Shake, Rattle and Rock. Cheers!
Basil Hayden’s Shake, Rattle and Rock
Created by Damian Windsor
– 2 parts Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon
– 1 part Lemon Juice
– 3/4 parts Peanut Banana Syrup*
– 1 part Whipping Cream
– 3/4 Pasteurized Egg White (Optional)
– Sea Salt
1. Add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon, lemon juice, peanut banana syrup, egg white and whipping cream to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
2. Shake vigorously and strain into a shot glass.
3. Garnish with a pinch of sea salt.
*Peanut Banana Syrup
– 1 cup Banana Chips
– 1/2 cup Unsalted Peanuts
– 3 cups Sugar
– 3 cups Water
1. Add water to a sauce and bring to a boil.
2. Add sugar, peanuts and banana chips and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Let it rest and cool to room temperature.
4. Fine strain the peanuts and banana chips from the syrup liquid and transfer to a clean glass.